Gijon en mi corazón

L'Alliance Française de Gijon invited me to give workshops in Francophone schools.
I told the students that the weather goes crazy everywhere I go : from the senegalese monsoon to the yemenite flood, rain is the connecting thread between my trips !
You get to learn how to draw in the rain...

That's why I wasn't surprised when a storm fell on Gijon just after my arrival there ! And I must say I was happy about it, because the seaside looked awesome. I had never seen it like this even if I grew-up by the sea. The beach had been closed. The waves were breaking just like monsters, as if they were willing to eat the walkers around who were hypnotized by their tremendous show...    


From the morning to the evening, it did not calm down.
I had already drawn the sea while I first came to Gijon, so glassy ! (drawings here)
I had just read a sentence written by Delacroix, in Normandy, where I grew-up as a matter of fact : "glitter on the waves' upper side."
I think about pinters when I'm watching the seaside. Monet left several easels over there...


In Gijon, lively harbour, you can find fishermen little bars. If you ask for the boss' speciality, they'll bring you a fantastic coffee, sure they will. Coffee, whipped cream, flambéed brandy : you'll fall for it...


Article about our workshop organised thanks to l'Alliance Française de Gijon.


No comments: